Here we list many sources of national news, opinion and analysis of varying quality and political flavours. Each state also has its own local page of news sources.
Australian ABC National Broadcaster
- ABC News Online
- 7.30 Report from the ABC television program includes transcripts of interviews
- Behind the News – background to the news from the ABC television program – intended for school students but suitable for anyone
New Zealand National Broadcaster
- TVNZ New Zealand news from the national state owned broadcaster. Approximately 10% of revenue comes from government sources.
Independent Australian News & Current Affairs
- Independent Australia is a progressive journal focusing on politics, democracy, the environment, Australian history and Australian identity. It contains news and opinion from Australia and around the world. IA supports quality investigative journalism, as well as citizen journalism and a diversity of voices. It believes Australians are short-changed by the mass media and and so it dedicates itself to seeking out the truth and informing the public.
- AusOpinion political opinion, analysis and much more from a range of political viewpoints
- RAMP UP – DISABILITY . DISCUSSION . DEBATE – news, opinion and blogs about disability from the ABC
- Australians For Honest Politics is a new citizens journalism project in the tradition of one of the first, Webdiary.
- Community Broadcasting in Australia is made up of over 350 independent, non-profit, community based broadcasting outlets. These include radio and television stations and remote Indigenous services.
- The Big Issue is a fortnightly current affairs and entertainment magazine that is sold on the streets of towns and cities throughout Australia by people experiencing homelessness or long-term unemployment. Vendors keep half of the cover price ($4) of every magazine they sell. It is the magazine that helps people help themselves. It is also Australia’s fastest growing magazine with readership now at 153,000 readers
- The Conversation Launched in March 2011, The Conversation claims to be an independent source of information, analysis and commentary from the university and research sector.
- crikey.com.au is a daily subscription email crammed with the latest news, analysis, juicy gossip, reviews, rumours, links and prescient tips. It arrives in subscribers’ inboxes every week day at lunchtime.
- Guardian – Australia Australian section of The Guardian
- The Global Mail – Philanthropically funded, not-for-profit news and features. Their mission is to deliver original, fearless, independent journalism.
- 4 Corners Australian current affairs program from the ABC.
- Link is a national cross-disability magazine, featuring opinions and perspectives directly from people with a disability. Link covers a diverse range of topics including news, issues, art, sport, breakthroughs, travel, health, advocacy, products and people in the disability sector
- The New Daily is an online-only mainstream news site funded by the superannuation industry.
- New Matilda is an online magazine and policy portal and provides an independent media voice, delivering accessible, informed comment on significant issues in Australia and abroad. New Matilda promotes:
- truth in public life
- independent political commentary
- policy based on the public good
- infinitive a small independent news and sports site which aims to have sections for each state. Currently mainly Victorian and national articles.
- The Monthly commentary and vigorous, sometimes controversial, debate on the issues that impact the nation.
- Green Left Weekly Australia’s radical weekly newspaper.
- Quadrant Print and online magazine
- Reportage is the Australian Centre for Independent Journalism’s (ACIJ) web magazine. It is dedicated to high- quality independent journalism. The ACIJ is part of the University of Technology, Sydney.
- Urban Environment News features the latest environment, sustainability and natural resource management news for urban and peri-urban areas in Australia.
- no fibs is a citizens journalism project in the tradition of one of the first, Webdiary. Webdiary – Aimed to be an “Independent, Ethical, Accountable and Transparent” forum for views across the political spectrum. No longer active.
Important National Issues
- The Climate Council is an independent non-profit organisation funded by donations by the public to replace the Climate Commission which was disbanded by the Abbott government. Their mission is to continue to provide authoritative, expert advice to the Australian public on climate change.
- PS News - Independent News for the Public Service is an online newspaper packed with news and other information designed to inform, entertain and challenge the professional staff of public sector organisations around the nation. PS News is totally independent of Government, union or political influence and is compiled and updated by journalists in Canberra and other capital cities.
- The Stringer is an independent online news site, delivering free-to-access independent news to readers daily. It includes many stories on social justice and disadvantaged groups who are ignored by mainstream media.
What will happen to these under the new government?
- National Disability Insurance Scheme website about the proposed NDIS includes information, draft legislations, a forum, and much more.
- National Broadband Network (NBN) Government site with news, fact sheets, etc. Also see the NBN Co website
Information on Refugees and Asylum Seekers
- Amnesty – what’s happening
- The Refugee Council of Australia
- Australian Immigration Department
- Australian Journal of Human Rights and AHRC Information Relevant to Refugee law in Australia
- Refugee Action Collective of Victoria
- U.S. Committee for Refugees
- Yahoo list of relevant news and other sites.
- BBC – The Road to Refuge
Information for Journalists, Citizen Journalists & Readers
- Internet Information Resources for Australian Journalists – an excellent resource for anyone wanting information and statistics
- SourceWatch, this collaborative resource for citizens and journalists looking for documented information about the corporations, industries, and people trying to influence public policy and public opinion.
The Australian newspaper market has two major players – News Ltd and Fairfax. These are their online sites.
- Sydney Morning Herald daily broadsheet newspaper with online news (Fairfax Digital)
- The Age Melbourne-based broadsheet (Fairfax Digital)
- Brisbanetimes.com.au online only news site from Fairfax Digital
- The Australian (News Limited) paywall
- The Australian Financial Review (Fairfax Digital) paywall
- The Australian Higher Education News (News Limited)
If you don’t want to read Murdoch sites or want a warning when you are on one, you can use the plug-ins described here. I use Firefox as my preferred browser for privacy reasons.
- Common Dreams News Centre – in-depth news reports and critical analysis from a variety of quality sources.
- Reuters Alertnet includes a live news feed from Reuters together with articles describing how relief agencies are responding to the latest humanitarian crises and a member directory of international aid agencies.
- The BBC
- The Guardian (includes the crossword!)
- The New York Times