In a sprawling city like Brisbane, transport is an important issue. A family car is considered a necessity by most. Many Brisbane people commute to work or study by car or public transport.
Public transport includes suburban electric trains, Brisbane City Council buses and private coach companies. Traffic congestion and the difficulties of parking in the city during business hours make public transport an attractive option for commuters.
International and interstate flights come into the Brisbane International Airport. Archerfield Aerodrome to the south and Caboolture to the north cater to small charter and private flights.
The Airtrain service from Brisbane Airport joins the Citytrain network. Book your tickets online to save. Tickets available to and from every station in Brisbane and Gold Coast.
Cycling is becoming more and more popular with the extensive bikeway network constructed over the past few years.
Several bridges cross the river and one tunnel goes underneath…
- Sir Leo Hielscher Bridges (was the Gateway Bridge) connecting the north and airport at Eagle Farm to Murrarie, Carindale and the south TOLL
- Story Bridge from Fortitude Valley/CBD to Kangaroo Point and the south/west
- Clem7 Tunnel from Bowen Hills in the north to Woolloongabba and the Freeway in the south bypasses CBD traffic. TOLL
- Captain Cook Bridge – the freeway from North Quay to the south.
- Go Between Bridge from Hale Street and the north to South Brisbane TOLL
- Goodwill Bridge (pedestrians and cyclists only) from Gardens Point in the CBD to Kangaroo Point.
- Victoria Bridge from the CBD to South Brisbane.
- Kurilpa (pedestrians and cyclists only) from CBD to South Bank
- William Jolly Bridge (Grey Street Bridge) from Petrie Terrace to South Brisbane
- Eleanor Schonell Bridge formerly known as Green Bridge from Dutton Park (south-west) to the University of Queensland at St Lucia. (buses, cyclists & pedestrians only)
- Jack Pesch Bridge (pedestrians and cyclists only) from Indooroopilly to Chelmer
- Walter Taylor Bridge takes the Western Freeway from the north across to Jindalee and Ipswich Road.
More Brisbane Transport Information
Check other transport information provided by various government departments and organisations