Armidale New South Wales
Armidale is the lively major city of the northern New South Wales tablelands and New England region. It is approximately half way between Brisbane and Sydney on the New England Highway. Passenger rail services and flights run to and from Sydney. Within Armidale, there are bus services around the suburbs into the city centre.
Armidale has a population of around 20 000 which includes many young people who come to study at the local schools and University of New England. As a regional and administrative centre, Armidale is well serviced by major retailers, local newspapers and radio, banks, and government services.
There are cafes and shops along the Beardy Street Mall, between Marsh and Dangar Streets, and other main retailers are focussed in the shopping centres and plazas in the blocks between Jessie, Dumaresq, Marsh, and Rusden Streets. Armidale is also known as a cathedral city, with Anglican and Catholic cathedrals plus many other denominational churches.
Armidale is a regional centre for bushwalking, surrounded as it is by the New England and Oxley Wild Rivers national parks. Because of its altitude of approximately 1km above sea level, Armidale has a mild climate, with distinct long spring and autumn periods, unlike many parts of Australia. The Autumn Festival is a major annual event in the city.
- Armidale Post Office
- Armidale Court House
- Armidale – Beardy Street Mall 1
- Armidale – Beardy Street Mall 2
- Armidale – Faulkner Street
- Armidale – Central Park
- Armidale hotels and accommodation online bookings
Armidale Activities and Attractions
- Armidale Show in March.
- Autumn Festival in April.
- New England Wool Expo in May.
- Armidale International Film Festival in August.
- Clubs, community groups, and services directory from the Armidale Dumaresq Council.
- New England National Park – 85km east of Armidale.
Armidale School and Community Links
- Postcode of Armidale is 2350
- Local Council Armidale Dumaresq Council
- Local Schools:
- TAFE / Universities:
- Guyra Tourism & Commerce Association Inc Guyra is 38km north of Armidale on the New England Highway. Guyra is the highest town on the tablelands.