South Australia was one of the first places in the world to give women the vote in 1894, and was the first in the world to enable women to enter Parliament.For more on this see the Women and Politics site from the State Library of South Australia.
The state has produced a diverse range of politicians from both sides of politics including Don Dunstan, Julia Gillard, Penny Wong, and Christopher Pyne, Amanda Vanstone and the Downers.
South Australian Politics
- Antony Green's Election Blog election news from Australia's popular psephologist
- Australian Labor Party – South Australian Branch
- Reason Victoria is a federal political party established to protect the civil rights and liberties of Australians – also a registered state political party in Victoria.
- The Greens – South Australian Branch
- Liberal Party of Australia – South Australian Branch
- National Party of Australia – South Australian Branch
- Secular Party of Australia – Freedom of religion and freedom from religion.. See Humanist Society of South Australia (HSSA Inc)
- See more on
Lobby Groups, Support Groups etc
- Australian Privacy Foundation
- Amnesty International
- Eco-Action Kangaroo Island is a growing group of people interested in maintaining and improving Kangaroo Island's unique and diverse ecosystems. Aims include… Develop an awareness for the natural environment. Develop an understanding of ecological processes. Promote the uniqueness of Kangaroo Island's ecosystems. Make representations to local, State and Federal government on environmental issues. Promote the LANDCARE ethic. Monitor potentially damaging processes, activities or proposals. Provide a communication and support network on Kangaroo Island. Actively support rehabilitation of degraded environments. Encourage individuals to make lifestyle changes.
- Fairness in Religions in School in South Australia (FIRIS-SA) is a parent-driven grassroots effort, committed to working for inclusive education about religions in government schools.
- Green Left Weekly
- Human Rights Council of Australia
- Independent Dam Safety Monitors – IDSM was formed to raise concerns about the safety issues that relate to dam failure.
- Insurance Reform Campaign
- Maternity Coalition
- Women's Electoral Lobby (WEL)
- The Refugee Council of Australia
- See the BCL Help! and BCL Interest Groups sections for more
Information, Opinion and Ideas
- australianpolitics.com – Information and links on politics in Australia
- IMC Adelaide Indymedia – A collective of independent media organizations and hundreds of journalists offering grassroots, non-corporate coverage of major protests.
- Online Opinion – A not-for-profit e-journal based in Brisbane that aims to provide a forum for public social and political debate about current Australian issues. Each month they publish articles intended to stimulate a public discourse on a range of topics.
- Australian Policy Online – With nearly 120 member centres and institutes, Australian Policy Online offers fast access to much of the best Australian social, economic, cultural and political research available online
- Political Compass – It's no longer a matter of left and right politics – try this online quiz to see where you stand politically. Do you tend toward the Authoritarian Left, Authoritarian Right, Libertarian Left or Libertarian Right?
- Common Dreams News Centre – In-depth news reports and critical analysis from a variety of quality sources.
- Reuters Alertnet – Includes a live news feed from Reuters together with articles describing how relief agencies are responding to the latest humanitarian crises and a member directory of international aid agencies.