Societies and Associations for Writers and Editors
- Australian Bush Poets Association Inc
- Australian Chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI)
- Australian Horror Writers Association
- Australian Licensing Corporation
- Australian Poetry Centre
- Australian Publishers Association
- Australian Society of Authors
- Australian Society of Travel Writers
- Australian Storytelling – resources for storytellers, including writers and librarians. Includes information for state-based guilds.
- Australian Writers Guild – Professional association for performance writers.
- Australian Writers Online Yahoo group for Australian writers.
- Children’s Book Council of Australia – a volunteer-run organisation that encourages young people to read and enjoy books, promotes excellence in books for young people and encourages high standards of reviewing. Each state and territory has its own branch.
- Copyright Agency Limited
- Fellowship of Australian Writers Statewide network for writers in all genres and anyone with an interest in books and writing.
- May Gibbs Children’s Literature Trust
- Poet’s Union
- Romance Writers of Australia Inc
- Royal Australian Navy Writers
- Sisters in Crime Australia – Supports female writers of crime fiction.
- Watermark Literary Society – Celebrates literature relating to nature and place.
- Words2Go – Aims to provide feedback via their virtual writers’ group. They also have links to and information on other writers’ groups.
- The Arts Office of the Queensland Government
- Brisbane’s Better Bookshops hold events with authors.
- Bundaberg Writers’ Club
- Carindale Writers’ Group
- Children’s Book Council of Australia – QLD Branch
- CrimeWriters Queensland
- Fellowship of Australia Writers – Queensland branch
- Gold Coast Writers Association
- Mackay-Pioneer Valley Arts Council Writers Group – based in Mackay
- Queensland Society of Editors
- Queensland Writers Centre
- Queensland Writing Yahoo group for Queensland writers.
- Writers in Townsville Soc. Inc.
New South Wales
- Bondi Writers Group
- Booranga Writers Centre – At Charles Sturt University. Home of the Wagga Wagga Writers Writers (WWWW).
- Central West Writers Centre – Based in Orange.
- Children’s Book Council of Australia – NSW Branch
- Fellowship of Australian Writers – NSW Branch includes regional writers groups around New South Wales.
- Hunter Writers Centre – Newcastle and Hunter region
- Ku-ring-gai Art Centre in the heart of Roseville and surrounded by Bancroft Park, Ku-ring-gai Art Centre is one of the largest art facilities in Australia provided by local government. We offer visual art, creative writing and guitar classes for adults, children and teens, for all levels of experience. We also run exciting school vacation programs and weekend workshops.
- Nambucca Valley Writers Group – South of Coffs Harbour.
- New England Writers’ Centre – Armidale
- New South Wales Society of Editors
- New South Wales Writers’ Centre for professional and aspiring writers. See their list of NSW Writing Groups
- New Writers’ Group Incorporated – Western Sydney.
- Northern Rivers Writers Centre – Byron Bay
- Parnassus’ Den – Gives script writers the opportunity to have their work read to the public by professional actors.
- Professional Editors’ Association NSW Inc
- Society of Women Writers NSW Inc
- South Coast Writers Centre South Coast and Southern Highlands
- Sydney PEN – The Sydney branch of this international organisation, which promotes freedom of expression and reading.
- Varuna Writers Centre – Katoomba, Blue Mountains.
- Ballarat Writers
- Children’s Book Council of Australia – Victorian Branch
- The Eastern Writers Group – Founded in 1938. Based in Box Hill South.
- Goulburn Valley Writers Group
- Melbourne PEN – The Melbourne branch of this international organisation, which promotes freedom of expression and reading.
- Melbourne Poets Union
- Society of Women Writers – Victoria Inc
- Victorian Fellowship of Writers
- Victorian Society of Editors
South Australia – BCL Adelaide Writers groups
- Children’s Book Council of Australia – Tasmanian Branch
- The Society of Women Writers Tasmania
- Tasmanian Fellowship of Writers
- Tasmanian Society of Editors
- Tasmanian Writers Centre
- Children’s Book Council of Australia – WA Branch
- The Fellowship of Australian Writers WA Section
- Fremantle Children’s’ Literature Centre
- Katharine Susannah Prichard Writers’ Centre – encourages and facilitates writers’ readings, workshops, writers in residence and other services, to encourage writers at all levels.
- Out of the Asylum Writers’ Group – Based in Fremantle. The group grew out of a Fremantle Arts Centre writing class – the centre was originally a women’s asylum.
- Peter Cowan Writers Centre
- WA Poets Inc
- Western Australia Society of Editors
- Women in Publishing (WA)
- WritingWA – includes details of literary activities, festivals, workshops, competitions and awards.
Australian Capital Territory
- ACT Writers’ Centre
- Canberra Society of Editors
- Canberra Speculative Fiction Guild – For writers of horror, science fiction, and fantasy.
- Children’s Book Council of Australia ACT Branch