Attractions in and around Brisbane
These are everyday attractions around Brisbane – the sort of things locals go to, or take their visiting friends and relatives to.
- Brisbane Botanic Gardens, Mt Coot-tha – These are real Australian botanic gardens – great for gardeners and naturelovers but also good for taking overseas visitor to. Allow a lot of time because it is a huge space. You get amazing views across to the city and Moreton Bay from the lookout at the top of Mt Coot-tha.
- Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre
- City Botanic Gardens
- Customs House make sure you walk out the river side when visiting this historic building.
- Downfall Creek Bushland Centre, Raven Street Reserve at McDowall, where a well appointed picnic ground connects with bikeways and trails and is floodlit after nightfall for summer evening barbeques. Information: 3353 3266 or 3403 5937.
- Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary – open every day of the year from 8:00-17:00 (from 13:00 on ANZAC Day, April 25)
- Maritime Museum (South Bank) – 10am to 5 pm
- Parliament House – see a virtual tour on the website
- Queensland Museum – 7 days a week 9am to 5pm except Christmas Day and Good Friday
- Queensland Art Gallery and GOMA (Gallery of Modern Art) – 7 days a week 10am to 5pm
- The Queensland Maritime Museum
- Queensland Sciencentre – hands-on activities for children and adults. Open every day except Christmas Day 10am – 5pm.
- Roma Street Parkland – lots of walkways, native and exotic plants. This area was once the rail shunting yards.
- South Bank Parklands
- Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium , Mt Coot-tha Rd, Toowong, Brisbane 340 32578
- The State Library of Queensland at South Bank.