Brisbane Support Groups for Grief and Bereavement
- Hannah’s Foundation, Australia’s only Drowning prevention, awareness and family support services. We have three primary roles and functions for supporting families of any tragedy such as child drowning, ocean drownings, boating accidents, floods or other water tragedies in Australia. We also support those victims who have suffered non fatal drownings (near drownings) as well as attend Coronial Inquests. Our Primary Support is Peer Support Services
- Young Widows & Widowers Support Group of Brisbane
- Bears of Hope – Support and guidance for parents who have lost their baby during pregnancy, birth or infancy. Bears of Hope offers face to face and online support groups, highly informative website, Bears Of Hope Keepsakes, phone and email support, home and hospital visits, Healing Hearts Newsletter, grief and loss library, community events
- The Compassionate Friends Queensland Inc. Brisbane Chapter.
The Compassionate Friends is a self-help support organization for bereaved parents, siblings and grandparents. We offer friendship and understanding to families who are grieving the death of a child of any age, from any cause. All bereaved family members are welcome. The mission of The Compassionate Friends is to assist families in the positive resolution of grief following the death of a child and to provide information to help others be supportive.
- Karuna: Palliative Care and Grief Counselling. Karuna provides care for people of all ages who have been diagnosed with a life limiting illness.
- Palliative Care Queensland is the peak organisation for palliative care in Queensland, representing the interests and aspirations of all who share the ideal of quality care at the end of life for all.
- SOS Survivors of Suicide Bereavement Support Association Inc. SOSBSA is a non-profit and charitable self help association formed by and for people bereaved by suicide, and offers: Friendship and support, Bereavement and support groups, Grief and loss helpline, Awareness and education, Promotes prevention and Crisis intervention helpline.
- See also someone to talk to – phone and face-to-face counselling services.
National Support Groups for Grief and Bereavement
- Ever After Widowed: Support group for Widows and Widoowers with young children. This site is designed for the benefit of widows and widowers with young children. The forum is intended as a place where people can express their emotions in a non-judgemental environment, a place to share our stories and develop a network of friendships. After the loss of a partner, we are faced with the double task of dealing with our own grief and helping our children deal with theirs. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. If you need a supportive ear or just to chat about your emotions, visit our forum.
- Legacy – caring for families of deceased veterans since 1923.
- Life Goes On 24hour 7days telephone counselling service for patients and families facing the challenges of a serious illness, care at the end of life, or bereavement. All counsellors have survived a serious illness or cared for someone they loved so they understand what you’re going through. All counsellors have been highly trained to take your call.
- Multiple Birth Association Bereavement Support Group (M-BABS)
- National Centre for Childhood Grief
- National Twin Loss Support based in Murray Bridge, South Australia.
- OzMOST (Aussie Mums Of Surviving Twins) internet-based support group for families who have experienced the death of multiple birth siblings.
- SANDS (Stillbirth and Neonatal Death Support) Qld provide parents with support and advice following the death of a baby through stillbirth, Neonatal death, including miscarriage support
- SIDS and Kids SIDS and Kids Queensland has broadened its service provision to support people who have been affected by the death of a child from any cause – not just Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS). This support incorporates perinatal deaths (including still birth and neonatal deaths), drowning, car accidents, sudden onset illnesses and any other cause of death.
- Solace Association – Grief Support for those grieving over the death of their partner, with state contacts.
- Support After Suicide – local contacts and resources provided by Jesuit Social Services.
Information on Death, Grief and Bereavement
- Centrelink – for information on payments and services you may be able to get if you need help after someone has died.
- Australian Funeral Directors Association – Funeral Notices
- Funeral Directors are welcome to contact us to discuss links and other appropriate options. We do not link to “tribute sites”
- GriefLink – an information resource on death-related grief for the community and professionals.