About Canberra Australia
Canberra, Australia’s national capital and the home of its Federal Government, is an entirely purpose-built, planned city, designed by Walter Burley Griffin. Parliament House and the High Court of Australia as well as many federal government departments and agencies, plus associated businesses and organisations are in Canberra.
As Australia’s capital, Canberra is also the site of many national social and cultural institutions and buildings, including the Australian War Memorial, National Gallery of Australia, National Museum of Australia and the National Library of Australia.
Canberra is in the northern part of the Australian Capital Territory, 300 km southwest of Sydney and 650 km northeast of Melbourne by road. Canberra has a population of approximately 308,700.
Canberra is also famous for the Floriade Festival each Spring at Canberra’s Commonwealth Park on the northern shores of Lake Burley Griffin.
Canberra is made up of several districts: Belconnen (north west, Gungahlin (north), Canberra Central comprising North Canberra (Inner North) and Canberra – Inner South, Kowen, Molonglo Valley, Woden Valley (south), Weston Creek (south west) and Tuggeranong (far south). Molonglo Valley is a new district which will be to the north of Weston Creek and to the south Belconnen.
More About Canberra
Use the links below find more information about Canberra:
- The National Capital Authority is responsible for the ongoing planning and development of Canberra. The sites includes interesting historical information as well as plans for the future.
- National Capital Exhibition An essential stop for visitors, the Exhibition tells the extraordinary story of Canberra, Australia’s National Capital. Through exciting interactive displays, the Exhibition illustrates Canberra’s vital role as a symbol of federation. It features the people, events, history and design which contributed to the development of this unique, modern, fully planned capital city.
- ACT Government Entry Point
- Canberra Tourism and Events
- Reflections of Canberra: An interactive collection from the archives of the ACT Heritage Library
- Virtual Canberra
- Lonely Planet: Canberra
- BCLBooks Local Books – Books set in or about Canberra.