Carlton, Melbourne, Victoria 3053
Carlton is an inner-city suburb, just 10-minutes walk (2km) north of the Melbourne CBD and has many tram and bus services. Carlton’s most famous street is Lygon Street, or “Little Italy”, which is full of cafes, bars and restaurants.
Carlton is an eclectic suburb with historic buildings and modern high rises often side-by-side. While Carlton is still considered the Italian quarter of Melbourne, it is now home to migrants from all over the world. The website, Italian Carlton, describes the history of Carlton in both English and Italian. Carlton’s annual La Dolce Italia Festival celebrates of Italy’s three great loves – food, family and fun.
There are two universities in Carlton – The University of Melbourne and Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) – which means Carlton has a high number of student residents.
Attractions include the Carlton Gardens, the Royal Exhibition Building, and the Melbourne Museum. Popular venues include the Melbourne Trades Hall, as well as the many arthouse cinemas and art galleries.
Carlton Accommodation & Services
- Carlton hotel bookings
- Cinema Nova – Arthouse cinema complex at 380 Lygon Street, in the Lygon Court Shopping Piazza.
Carlton School & Community Links
- Postal – The postcode of Carlton is 3053
- Political RepresentationLocal Council – Carlton is part of the City of Melbourne local government area.
- State Government – Carlton is part of the State Seat of Melbourne.
- Federal Government – Carlton is part of the Federal Electoral Division of Melbourne.
- Carlton Gardens Primary School
- Carlton Primary School
- Dancehouse – centre for independent contemporary dance research, training and performance.