Government in Melbourne & Victoria
Victoria is covered by three levels of government, the Federal Government for the whole of Australia, State Government ie the Victorian State Government, and local councils within Melbourne and throughout regional Victoria.
Melbourne Councils – Local Government
Local council websites often have lots of information on parks, bicycle paths, business, events and festivals as well as rates, roads and rubbish.
- Banyule City Council between 7 and 21 kilometres north-east of central Melbourne. Suburbs include: Bellfield, Briar Hill, Bundoora, Eaglemont, Eltham North, Greensborough, Heidelberg, Heidelberg Heights, Heidelberg West, Ivanhoe, Ivanhoe East, Lower Plenty, Macleod, Montmorency, Rosanna, St Helena, Viewbank, Watsonia, Watsonia North and Yallambie.
- Bayside City Council shares municipal boundaries with the Cities of Kingston, Glen Eira and Port Phillip.
- Brimbank City Council just 20 kilometres from the CBD, Brimbank is a dynamic and rapidly growing city encompassing 25 new and established suburbs including Sunshine, St Albans, Keilor and Sydenham
- City of Greater Dandenong
- Darebin City Council Darebin is home to one of the largest most diverse communities in Victoria. The area ranges from the inner city suburbs of Alphington, Fairfield, Northcote and Westgarth through the established areas of Thornbury and Preston, out to the relatively new areas of Reservoir and the Bundoora North East Growth Corridor
- Knox City Council at the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges
- Maribyrnong City Council The City of Maribyrnong is made up of the suburbs of Braybrook, Footscray, Kingsville, Maidstone, Maribyrnong, Seddon, Tottenham, West Footscray, and Yarraville.
- Melbourne, City of The municipal boundaries of the City of Melbourne include the central business district, Southbank, South Yarra, Docklands, Port Melbourne and Fishermans Bend, Flemington, Kensington, Parkville, Carlton, West Melbourne, North Melbourne and East Melbourne, and Jolimont.
- Melton Shire Council The Shire of Melton offers an urban-rural lifestyle, just 35 minutes travelling time to the west of Melbourne.
- Stonnington, City of in Melbourne’s inner east and taking in the suburbs of Prahran, Windsor, South Yarra, Toorak, Armadale, Malvern, Malvern East and Glen Iris. The City of Stonnington covers an area of 25.62 square kilometres
State government responsibilities include police, education, hospitals and major roads.
Australian Federal Government
- Federal Government This official government site includes overviews, legislation, Hansard, Bills, members of Parliament, and government department and agencies.
- Prime Minister’s Home Page
- Federal Parliament proceedings live Click on the ‘Broadcasting LIVE Parliament’ link, to see and listen to live broadcasts from Canberra. Windows Media Player and a sound card is required for the live audio and video streams.
- Australian Electoral Commission (AEC)
- Links to political party and lobby groups sites are on the Politics page