Cairns is the best known of the North Queensland cities. It is a popular tourist destination and international gateway to the Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest. Both are listed as World Heritage sites.
Popular activities in Carins include snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef, riding the Skyrail Rainforest Cableway through the Kuranda range, swimming in the Cairns Espanade saltwater lagoon visiting nearby islands which include Green Island, Dunk Island, Hinchinbrook, and Fitzroy Island. Bushwalking through the national parks and day trips onto the Atherton Tablelands are also popular.
Dangerous stinger season is generally from November to May, however this varies. Swimming enclosures are provided at most beaches to keep swimmers safe from poisonous jellyfish.
The climate in Cairns is tropical with hot and humid summers and dry winters – making winter the peak tourist time.
Getting to Cairns
- Many airlines service Cairns Airport.
- Queensland Traveltrain runs high speed train services along the coast from Brisbane to Cairns.
- Several tour companies run organised tours along the east coast from Cairns, through to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne.
Cairns offers the full range of accommodation options from 5 star resorts to motels, caravan parks and backpacker hostels. Check out the options on Booking.com for
Cairns Tours, Adventure and Activities
- Cruises in Cairns & the Great Barrier Reef
- Cairns Shore Excursions
- Cairns Package Tours
- Attractions and Theme Parks in Cairns and North Queensland
- Atherton Tablelands Tours