Townsville is widely regarded as the capital of North Queensland. It provides the northern link for State and Federal Governments, and is the site of James Cook University. Townsville is approx. 1500 km north of Brisbane by road. Thuringowa Shire, to Townsville’s north, was declared a City on January 1st, 1986.
Visitors and locals enjoy walking and relaxing along Townsville’s 2.5km foreshore, The Strand. The beachfront is lined with shops, cafes, restaurants, pools, picnic areas and more. Just north of Townsville are Paluma and Crystal Creek. Popular activities include the freshwater swimming holes, picnic areas, bushwalking in Mount Spec National Park, lookouts, wildlife and heritage sites.
Another popular destination is Magnetic Island, which is only a half hour ferry ride from the city.
- The Postcode of Townsville is 4810
- Latitude: 19 15′ S (Decimal Degrees -19.260)
- Longitude: 146 49′ E (Decimal Degrees 146.817)
Townsville Accommodation & Tours
- Townsville 4.5 star Hotels
- Townsville 4 star Hotels and Motels
- Townsville 3.5 & 3 star Hotel and Motel Accommodation
- Townsville Backpackers
- Townsville Tours – fishing trips, cruises to Magnetic Island and sightseeing.
- Townsville City Council
- Townsville State of Environment Report
- Thuringowa City Council
- James Cook University