Bathurst New South Wales
Bathurst, the oldest inland settlement in Australia, is perhaps best known for motor racing at Mt Panaroma.
Bathurst Local Knowledge
This description was written by BCL readers.
Established in the early 1800s, today Bathurst has a youthful feel. This is a “uni town” and the sprawling campus of Charles Sturt University lies on the edge of town. Academic excellence is prominent, and Bathurst boasts six secondary schools. There are heritage buildings and quite a few stately, well-preserved homes from a bygone era, set against a backdrop of gentle rolling hills.
Modern shopping complexes have been incorporated into two of the most central CBD blocks, and other shops, parks and gardens radiate outwards from the town centre. The charming Keppel Street area of boutiques and cafes feels almost like a separate mini village. Coffee shops, restaurants and pub bistros are dotted around town. A personal favourite of mine is the atmospheric and centrally located Acropole Restaurant, where great coffee and everything from early morning to late night dining can be found.
Bathurst often celebrates the rich colours of autumn with a series of themed events. There is a multi-theatre cinema, a Regional Gallery and the Bathurst Memorial Entertainment Centre for cultural productions.
Mount Panorama racing circuit draws huge crowds of motoring enthusiasts, especially for the annual Bathurst 1000 Race (one of the V8 Supercar Series) when the population swells to almost bursting point. 2.5 hours drive (207km) to Sydney, 3.5 hours to Canberra. Air, train and coach services operate daily.
– Ellis Ash
Bathurst Accommodation & Services
- Bathurst Regional Art Gallery.
- Bathurst Regional Council includes local information, attractions and events
- Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit
- There are airports at Bathurst, Orange, Dubbo and Parkes. Airlink Airlines operates return flights to Sydney from Bathurst
- Countrylink Rail rail timetables. It is approximately 4 hours rail journey from Sydney.
- National Motor Racing Museum The collection includes race cars, cycles, trophies, photographs, paintings, posters, special exhibits and memorabilia of Australian motor racing with an emphasis on the international Mount Panorama motor racing circuit
- Western Institute of TAFE – Bathurst Campus