Bowen is in the northern region of the Whitsundays, on the east coast of Queensland midway between Mackay and Townsville. It boasts incredible tropical beaches that overlook the Great Barrier Reef. Bowen is famous for its mangos. The Big Mango is home of the Bowen Tourist Information Centre, 4km south of Bowen on the Bruce Highway.
In 2007, Bowen was used to portray Darwin in the 1930s in the movie “Australia”.
Things to see
- Bowen Historical Museum at 22 Gordon Street, Bowen (off Herbert Street)
- The Big Mango – home of the Bowen Tourist Information Centre, 4km south of Bowen on the Bruce Highway.
- See the Bowen Shire Council website for more information on events.
- The postcode of Bowen is 4805
- Local Council: Bowen Shire Council
- Local Schools: Bowen State High School and Bowen State School