Anniversary gifts can be one of the most difficult to choose – not only for the friends and family, but sometimes also for partners.
Anniversary gifts for your wife or husband can reinforce or threaten the bond between you. It really is a matter of expectations. If you or your partner have unrealistic expectations, buying gifts can be a minefield.
On the other hand, if you approach it with some humour and kindness, it can remind you why you became, and why you want to remain, a couple. Here are some ideas to make life easier for both of you…
- Make it the same thing every year – build a re-assuring traditional of your favourite brand of chocolates to share, a hamper containing your favourite wine (tradition plus surprise), or a collection you build with one new item to make each year. This can be the most adaptable option and cope with varying financial conditions throughout the years.
- Make it a shared experience – buy an experience voucher for a meal, a getaway, and adventure or more.
- Don't buy anything – make it a day where you give your time or attention. Go for a long walk, make and eat a meal together, do something that sets the day apart so it is one where you relax, talk and reconnect. Give presence rather than presents.
- Escape the family and friends – get away from their expectations as well. Book a quiet hotel room, a weekend retreat, or just get a babysitter in for the night.
Shop Online For Anniversary Gifts
- A Little Luxury is one of our favourite gift stores with a wide range of unusual and elegant gifts, homewares and customisable gift baskets. (more on our Little Luxury shop page.) They have something for all tastes, including…
- Caricature King – unique gifts made from a photo of the happy couple. Digital caricatures from under $50, poster print or print and framing options.
- Cool Things is all about the latest cool gadgets, gizmos and gifts that make you say “That's Cool.” See some light-hearted novelty gifts in Cool Gifts for lovers
- Edible Blooms – have an amazing range of chocolate bouquets, fruit bouquets, alphabet cakes, and hampers. Delivery all around Australia, express delivery to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide Inner Metro.
Anniversary “Experience” Gifts Australia
Instead of a traditional gift, you could give an experience to share.
- Adrenaline – adventure and experience vouchers for Hot Air Ballooning, Luxury car hire, Winery tours and more. They also have the option of some impressive gift hampers as an alternative or addition to an experience gift. Delivery Australia-wide.
- Book a hotel getaway to revisit a favourite hotel or explore a new destination.
Traditional Anniversary Gift by year.
1 – The traditional 1st anniversary gift is paper and the modern gift is the clock.
5 – For 5th wedding anniversaries, the traditional gift is wood and the modern gift is silverware.
10 – The traditional gift to make your decade together is tin and the modern gift is diamond. You don't have to stick to these ideas but if you do, be creative – it doesn't have to be a real diamond – it could be a diamond-shaped tin of biscuits.
15 – The traditional 15th anniversary gift is crystal and the modern gift is the watch.
20 – The traditional 20th anniversary gift is china and the modern gift is platinum.
25 – Both the traditional and modern 25th anniversary gifts are silver.
30 – The traditional 30th anniversary gift is pearl and the modern gift is diamond.
35 – The traditional 35th anniversary gift is coral and the modern gift is jade.
40 – Ruby is both the traditional and modern gift for 40th wedding anniversaries.
45 – Sapphire is both the traditional and modern gift for 45th wedding anniversaries.
50 – Gold is the traditional and modern gift for 50th wedding anniversaries.
55 – Emerald is the traditional and modern gift for 55th wedding anniversaries.
60 – Both the traditional and modern 60th anniversary gifts are diamond.