January is summer holiday time in Sydney and NSW, beginning with a public holiday for New Year’s Day and another public holiday for Australia Day. School holidays continue until late January.
Major events include the Sydney Festival which incorporates film, theatre, dance and music and takes place in laneways and venues around Sydney and Australia Day events on the 26th January. You’ll also find all sorts of school holiday events at major venues like Darling Harbour, the Rocks, and the Entertainment Quarter at Moore Park a well as through the outer suburbs of Sydney.
Regional events in January each year include such diverse events as the Elvis festival at Parkes, the Illawarra Folk Festival in the Illawara region and the Guyra Lamb & Potato Festival and Tamworth Country Music Festival in the New England region of NSW
January 2018 Events in Sydney and New South Wales
- 1 January (Monday) 2018 – New Years Day (Public Holiday) – it’s a long weekend!
- Parkes Elvis Festival (Central NSW) On the second week in January every year, the town of Parkes in Central New South Wales comes alive to the sounds of a 5 day festival featuring hip-swivelling Elvis Impersonators. Parkes is in Central NSW, is 365km from Sydney and 306km from Canberra.
- 26 January (Friday) 2018 – Australia Day / Invasion Day – Public Holiday. see Themes For Parties.com.au for Australia Day party ideas and costumes).
- 29 January (Monday) 2018 – School Term 1 begins in New South Wales schools: Eastern division (see AU school holiday dates) This is a pupil free day, students start on the following day.
January Events from the forum
These events are in the order that they have been posted - not in date order.
- Music Festival: Illawarra Folk Festival, Bulli, NSW - by heidives
The Illawarra Folk Festival is a music festival held at the Bulli Showground, Bulli (just north of Wollongong). It is run by the Illawarra Folk...
- Australia Day 26 January - Public Holiday & Australia Day events - by BCL Sydney
Australia Day is a public holiday around Australia. It commemorates the arrival of the First Fleet at Sydney Cove in 1788. As such, the day means...
- Music Festival: New England - Tamworth Country Music Festival - by BCL Sydney
Tamworth Country Music Festival - every January get the official guide at http://www.tamworthcountrymusic.com.au/ Tamworth...
- Festival: New England - Guyra Lamb & Potato Festival - by BCL Sydney
The Guyra Lamb & Potato Festival (http://www.guyra-lamb-potato.com/) at Guyra, near Armidale (http://www.bcl.com.au/nsw/armidale.htm) in the New...
- Festival: Parkes Elvis Festival (Central NSW) - by BCL Sydney
On the second week in January every year, the town of Parkes in Central New South Wales comes alive to the sounds of a 5 day festival featuring...
Post your events of the forum to appear above (here’s how)