Labour Day Public Holiday is no longer in May in Queensland. “On Tuesday, 30 October 2012, amendments to the Holidays Act 1983 were passed by Parliament prescribing that from 2013, the Birthday of the Sovereign (Queen’s Birthday) public holiday is to be observed on the second Monday in June and the Labour Day public holiday is to be observed on the first Monday in October. ” (ref) However, in 2013 May Day parades were held as normal – see http://www.independentaustralia.net/2013/australian-identity/queensland/labour-day-is-here-to-stay/
May Events in Brisbane and Queensland
- Australian Office Professionals Day – Visit our Secretary’s Day page for gift ideas.
- International Composting Awareness Week Australia (ICAW), is a week of activities, events and publicity to improve awareness about the importance of this valuable organic resource and to promote compost use, knowledge and products. We can compost to help scrap carbon pollution by avoiding landfilling organic materials and helping to build healthier soils. This was started in 2013 – not sure of the dates for 2014.
- 11 May (Sunday) 2014 – Mothers Day Second Sunday in May. See Mother’s Day gifts and gift ideas Australia
- Trees for Mum – free national event offers motherless children a way to remember their mum, and celebrate the beauty of life, by planting a tree in her honour. Go to the website for more information.
- National Volunteer Week – An opportunity to highlight the role of volunteers in our communities and to say thank you to the more than 5 million Australians who volunteer (see volunteer groups in Brisbane).
- 26 May – Sorry Day held on the 26 May each year.
May Events from the forum
- Awareness Days / Weeks / Months: International Permaculture Day - 5th May 2013 - Queensland events - by BCL Brisbane
International Permaculture Day is a day where a range of Permaculture events occur across Australia and the globe. Open homes, gardens and farms,...
Move on to June events
Post your events of the forum to appear above (here’s how)